Man Allegedly Strikes Wife With Portable Speaker on Forehead, Threatens to Kill Her

Crime Published On August 05, 2022 05:51 AM
Amanie Mathurin | August 05, 2022 05:51:14 AM


ST. CROIX — A man has been ordered to have no contact with his wife after he allegedly assaulted her. 

Charlesworth Bryan was arrested in the early morning hours of last week Thursday after it was reported that he had strangled his wife. The victim provided a statement to police in which she recounted that she was home watching a movie when a disagreement began between her and Bryan. She said that during the disagreement he threatened her, shouting, “I’m going to kill you!” According to the victim, she observed his demeanor and picked up a portable speaker to defend herself in case her husband attacked her.

According to the probable cause fact sheet, the victim said that her husband grabbed her by the neck with both hands and they began to fight in the hallway. She further alleged that he punched her multiple times and then struck her across the forehead with the portable speaker. She then went inside the bathroom where she was able to call for police assistance and Bryan subsequently left the residence on foot. 

The responding officer observed that the victim had a lump on her forehead as well as multiple scratches to her neck and face and abrasions to her upper chest and elbow. Police apprehended Bryan that same morning and he was charged with second-degree assault, third-degree assault, simple assault and battery and disturbance of the peace. All four charges have been categorized as crimes of domestic violence. 

At his advisement hearing on Monday morning, public defender Katherine Slade stressed that Bryan has no previous contact with the law. She explained that the defendant responded affirmatively when asked whether he would be able to provide the court with an address where he would reside within one week of release. Bail was subsequently set at $15,000 and the judge explained that Bryan would be allowed to post $250 in cash — an amount that his attorney previously confirmed he would be able to obtain. He will be required to sign an unsecured bond for the remainder.

Bryan had exactly one week as of Monday to provide the court with an approved address where he will reside. In the meantime, he must report to the probation office daily.

The judge stressed that if the defendant is unable to provide an address and does not contact his attorney to try to address the situation, he will have to return to the Bureau of Corrections to await trial. While this matter remains pending, he has been prohibited from entering the residence he shared with his wife and has been ordered to have no direct or indirect contact with her. 

The defendant has also been required to surrender his passport and is not permitted to travel without court permission.

Get the latest news straight to your phone with the VI Consortium app.