
From left to right, mugshots of Jeremiah Victorine and Re'Kai Huyghue. Photo Credit: THE VIRGIN ISLANDS POLICE DEPARTMENT
ST. THOMAS — Police investigations of a February 27 robbery and assault on the campus of the Charlotte Amalie High School have resulted in multiple felony charges against two individuals.

The area known as “the cut” at CAHS is a popular spot for students to hang out. The victim in this incident told police that he frequents the area at least twice a week, and has never had any issues prior.
On the day in question, the student was in “the cut” with a friend, when three individuals approached, Jeremiah Victorine and Re'Kai Huyghue, both 18, among them. After a brief conversation, the student found himself surrounded.
Victorine reportedly struck first, punching the boy on the right side of his face. In the scuffle, the boy reportedly fell to the ground after stumbling over a rock. He told investigating officers that he saw his friend running away from the fight. Shortly afterward heard someone shout to take his belongings, and felt his gold ring being removed from his finger. When the fight was over, the boy realized that he was missing the diamond ring, a gold earring, and a gold hand chain.
The boy called his father to tell him what had happened at school. His friends, now returned, walked with him out of “the cut” and were soon stopped by a teacher near the Mechanics Building, who noted with alarm the boy's injuries. When told about the fight, the teacher directed the student to the school nurse.
With the nurse unavailable, the student met instead with the school's attendance counsellor, who reportedly gave him an ice pack for his face, and asked him to visually identify everyone present in “the cut” during the incident, which he did, using photos of the students supplied by the staff member.
Details of the incident were corroborated to police by several other students and teachers who witnessed the aftermath of the assault. Acting Principal Joel Buchanan told officers that the students who assaulted the robbery victim had each received 10 days’ suspension from school as punishment.
A student involved in the fight also spoke to police, claiming that the injured boy swung first. However, he admitted to being involved in the 3-on-1 assault, punching the boy in the face and upper chest until he fell to the ground.
Huyghue also spoke to police, saying that the incident had been prompted by another student who, on the day of the assault, complained that he and the injured student had been involved in a verbal altercation. Huyghue went to “the cut” that day, he said, to find out what had happened. He recounted having an exchange of words which then escalated. He too claimed that the injured boy had thrown the first punch, which missed. Huyghue denied all knowledge of missing jewelry, claiming that he discovered some of his jewelry had also gone missing, and suggested that it may have fallen during the scuffle.
Ultimately, Jeremiah Victorine and Re'Kai Huyghue were both arrested on Friday, March 28. Each was charged with two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree robbery, simple assault, two counts of grand larceny, and disturbance of the peace by fighting. Aiding and abetting charges were also added to most counts. Bail was set for each individual at $75,000 and they were remanded into custody to await their first court appearance.
On Saturday, they appeared before Magistrate Paula Norkaitis, who found probable cause to support all charges against them. Bail was adjusted to $25,000 and allowed the defendants to post 10% of that as a cash alternative. They are required to continue to attend classes at CAHS, but are banned from entering “the cut”, and must stay at least 20 feet from the alleged victim at all times. They are also required to report to the probation office once a week by telephone, and are restricted from travel outside of the district absent the court's written authorization.

The next court appearance for Victorine and Huyghue is scheduled for April 25.