BREAKING

32 New Covid-19 Cases Reported in USVI Tuesday

Coronavirus Published On August 19, 2020 07:30 AM
Staff Consortium | August 19, 2020 07:30:55 AM

Thirty-two new Covid-19 cases were reported by the V.I. Department of Health on Tuesday night, two days after Governor Albert Bryan implemented the Stay-at-Home order that calls for more stringent guidelines, including the closure of non-essential businesses and halting of lodging reservations for leisure guests, among other measures.

The governor said the order is expected to be in place for two weeks, but it could  last longer depending the territory's performance in getting the virus under control.

The breakdown: St. Thomas recorded 22 of the 32 cases, St. Croix 8 and St. John 2. St. Thomas's latest transmission update sees 18 cases being transmitted through close contact, 10 community spread and 2 travel related . St. Croix registered 4 close contact cases, 1 travel-related and 3 were under investigation as of Tuesday night. Both of St. John's cases were under investigation as well. 

D.O.H. is tracking 235 active cases: 189 on St. Thomas, 40 on St. Croix and 6 on St. John. The department said 584 people have recovered, up from 533 a day earlier. A total of 13,360 tests have been conducted, with 12,517 returning negative and 828 positive.

So far 9 people have died from the virus territory-wide, with 5 deaths on St. Croix and 4 on St. Thomas.

 

 

Get the latest news straight to your phone with the VI Consortium app.

0 Comments