ST. CROIX — The Estate La Reine McDonald’s was robbed at gunpoint on Saturday night, after three male suspects entered the establishment at about 8:57 p.m. with weapons drawn demanding cash, V.I.P.D. Public Information Officer Glen Dratte announced today.
According to Mr. Dratte, the 911 emergency call center dispatched nearby Marshall Command-stationed officers to respond to the robbery, which was in progress.
When officers arrived to the location, they spoke with employees of the restaurant along with individuals who were there when the robbery occurred. Employees and restaurant patrons told police that three young black men, all dressed in black and wearing face masks, entered the restaurant demanding that the employees open the cash register and put money in a bag.
The men fled the area in a vehicle with the cash, however they were pursued by police officers, Mr. Dratte said. He said the suspects’ getaway vehicle came to a stop inside Kingshill Cemetery. The occupants then left the vehicle and jumped over a wall of the cemetery — leaving behind an undisclosed amount cash and other items, Mr. Dratte said. Officers were not injured during the pursuit, according to the release.
Pratons and restaurant employees were not physically hurt, according to police.
The case was under investigation by the Major Crime Unit, according to police. The V.I.P.D. is asking anyone with information about this robbery to contact the V.I.P.D.’s Investigation Bureau at 340-778-2211. You may also contact Crime Stoppers USVI with an anonymous tip here.
Correction: Nov. 6, 2018
The Marshall Command Police Station is located in Christiansted, not Estate La Reine, as previously referenced in the article. The story has been updated.
Feature Image: McDonald’s in Estate La Reine, St. Croix (Ernice Gilbert, VIC)